TERMS AND CONDITIONS
All activities involve an element of risk. Staff at Wellington Zoo will take all practicable steps to reduce the risks in their activities to acceptable levels, supply instruction on safe practices, and make participants aware of the level of risk in each activity. However all activities require a shared responsibility.
Prior to your Close Encounter please be aware of the following:
- More than one person may book Close Encounters at a time. This may mean that you will share your experience with other customers.
- No refunds are given for cancellations.
- Changes to your booking are permitted up to seven days prior to your Encounter. All changes are subject to availability and an administration fee of $20 per change applies.
- Wellington Zoo staff must be advised prior to the visit of any medical conditions that may influence participation.
- All participants must ensure that they are wearing appropriate clothing and footwear, i.e. closed shoes (sneakers, boots etc). All participants must be able to walk on their own and crouch and get up again with ease on their own.
- The Close Encounter will occur in most weather conditions. Should wet and windy conditions be forecasted, then we recommend you bring suitable jackets with you as umbrellas are not permitted in the Encounter areas. In the event of severe weather or an event by force majeure, we reserve the right to either cancel or reschedule the Encounter. If this occurs, we will make every effort to accommodate you at a different time.
- At the beginning of the Encounter the Zoo guide will provide you with a full safety briefing. It is essential that all participants attend. Please also allow plenty of time to get to the Zoo and your Encounter. We recommend you introduce yourself to our reception staff no later than 20 minutes before your scheduled Encounter.
- If participants choose to take unnecessary risks, or present a risk to themselves, the animals or others, by words or actions, the Close Encounter will cease immediately, and they will be asked to leave the Zoo. No refund will be issued under these circumstances.
- All Close Encounter participants must follow the instructions given by Zoo staff at all times.
- Wellington Zoo will not be held responsible for any lost or damaged equipment.
- Due to the possibility of unforeseeable animal health or staffing issues, Wellington Zoo cannot guarantee that all animals and exhibits specified will be available. When this occurs, every effort will be made to accommodate you at a different time.
- In recognition of the fact that the way Wellington Zoo’s animals are portrayed can influence the public perception of the animals and the zoo industry, photographs can only be used for personal purposes and the publication, distribution, reproduction or use of photographs for commercial or promotional purposes is strictly prohibited.
While Wellington Zoo staff minimise any associated risks that may occur during this activity, all participants have a responsibility to ensure that at all times instructions given by the guide are followed and that they accept responsibility for their own actions.
- Wellington Zoo, and staff, shall not be liable for any personal injury if caused by the participant or for lost or stolen equipment.
- Individuals whose behaviour is likely to endanger themselves, members of the public, Zoo staff or animals will be instructed to leave the Zoo immediately and forfeit the rest of the Close Encounter.
- Should First Aid be required the Zoo has certified First Aid personnel who can attend to visitors’ needs. Please contact your guide for assistance.
- In the (unlikely) event of an emergency;
- A staff member will be with you at all times during the Close Encounter and ensure that you are taken to a safe area until the situation has been dealt with.
- Please do not feed the animals anything other than food provided by Zoo staff during the Close Encounter.