Our dream is for Wellington Zoo to be ‘absolutely, positively the best little Zoo in the world’ – a reflection of our city culturally, physically and economically. As a small Zoo with a big dream, we are putting our best efforts into what we’ve identified as six areas crucial to developing Wellington Zoo into a 21st century Zoo. We aim to:
- create outstanding, intimate and unique visitor experiences – bringing visitors up close with our animals, improving visitor amenities, and caring for our animals and their environments within the Zoo;
- be at the forefront of the Zoo industry; supporting national and international breeding and conservation programmes and providing knowledge, expertise and leadership on wildlife care, animal management, conservation and learning;
- increase our financial sustainability by increasing revenue gained through visitor spend and commercial opportunities and by income derived through fundraising;
- attract and retain valued and motivated staff by harnessing their passion and skills;
- lead and participate in conservation and research programmes; both in situ and ex situ as well as integrating conservation with animal management and visitor programmes;
- generate lasting community support by raising the profile of the Zoo and making the Zoo relevant to all Wellingtonians.